Monday, March 2, 2009

Workout DVD Reviews..

Sooo yeah. I have about a thousand workout DVDs and people always ask me what they entail. So instead of standing around for 7+ minutes explaining to people whats on these DVDs I'm just going to make some workout dvd posts to clear up any confusion. In the spirit of writing workout dvd reviews I'll do one now that I've been doing frequently for the past 3 weeks.

Title: Jillians Michaels Banish Fat Boost Metabolism
Catagory: Aerobic/cardio/light strength trainning.
Running Time: 50 mins.

If you are looking to burn some major calories I would definitly invest in this dvd. The host, Jillian Michael's claim to fame is literally abusing the fat off of morbidly obese people on NBC's "The Biggest Loser". She is a total bitch, but in a good, heart healthy way. This is one of her two new workout dvds and is focused more on burning calories and helping your cardiovascular system. The DVD is broken up into sections, it's basically a circuit workout. You begin with a five minute warm up and then onto a 40 minute circuit broken up into 7, six minute circuits that include elements of kickboxing and regular old calisthenics. There is also some floorwork for your abdominals too. There is a min cool down/stretch at the end and is great when you have an hour to devote to hyperventilating. This video is tough. If your body has almost physically grown into the counch before you try this worout you might die trying it. I consider myself an intermediate exerciser and this nearly made me barf all over the place the first time I did it. I was also sweating like crazy after doing this one. It definitely gets your heart rate up and will eventually, and litterally, work your ass off. Now, the DVD claims on the cover that you will lose 5lbs. in a week. I have done this video consistently for 6 days in a week and I didn't lose much at all (0.5-1lbs) but I've been stuck at a plateau for months. If you really take control of your diet it may be possible to lose 5 lbs. but I would stick with a more realistic number like 2-3 (it's better to lose weight slowly anyways so you dont get floppy skin, or as my little English cousin lovingly calls it "bingo wings"). This dvd can be purchased for around $10 on amazon.com and I think it's a good investment for someone who doesn't have a lot of equipment (this video only requires a working body) or hates going to the gym (like moi). Jillian Michaels doesn't really care that you are about to faint whilst performing standing mountain-climbers, but it makes you push harder than you thought you would. Watching her take breaks makes me want to try even harder because, in a sense, I'm working harder than she is, lazy lump.

More reviews to come. I will also review the counterpart to this dvd the "Jillians Michaels: No More Trouble Zones" whenever I get a chance. Happy exercising all!

No comments: